Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pleased to Meet You

People are falling like dominoes all around me. My neighbor lost his job last month. My friend's brother will lose his job as a lawyer in two weeks. Almost every day it's someone new. And then I sit and wonder about their finances.

Its not that I am nosey. In my last career I was a financial analyst, and on a personal level I can't help but find it both fascinating and troublesome to hear when someone loses their job, because I wonder about their personal financial details and if they could use financial advice. There are so few people I know that actually takes Suze Orman's advice and sets aside emergency funds worth 8 months of expenses.

I wonder what they are considering for their options; if they are getting creative with their existing resources, cutting back on expenses, or creating budgets. And if they believe you need a lot of money to be happy.

Which is why I am writing this blog. Since personal finances are just too painful and embarrassing to talk about, maybe I can reach out to folks here.

I was a financial analyst for twenty years, explaining how the money was spent and estimating how much money would be left over at the end of the month or the year for both companies and cities. I also ran a couple of small businesses (golf course, neuroscience research). But my real interests are analyzing the dynamics behind personal finances.

Although this blog was started so I could share ideas on better managing money, I also plan to write about health-related issues, especially on eating healthy.

If you want ideas to better manage your money or improve your health, I hope you will continue to check out this blog. I love advice, and would enjoy hearing any of your ideas. And hopefully with all this self-improvement we can have some fun along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment